"Romero Plissken" is back, in this cyborg-exploding grenade-imbibing game of generic Quake-like action. Hehehe.
I'm building an action game system, basically from the ground up.
I'm starting off just focussing on a Quake-like shooter, to get down the basics of creating NPCs.
Getting a character moving around using a skinned mesh, Mecanim, NavMesh and AI code.
Ultimately, I want to build a versatile AI character for Unity that I can apply to all sorts of different circumstances:
- Guards, in a fantasy game.
- NPCs, who walk about town.
- Characters in a scripted cutscene.
Dev Diary #002
- Here I've made the enemy attacks hurt the player, and if the player dies it restarts the level.
- The Soldier has Grenade attack, and at some point will also have a MG attack, probably firing short bursts.
- The Slicer has a Melee slice attack.
- The Kamikaze runs at you and Explodes.
- Explosions hurt the player and also nearby enemies.
- Once they have sighted you, they go into a heightened alertness state (Chasing) and aggressively try to track you down.
- When in the Chasing state, they have 360 degree vision (to prevent you from just "running behind them" to elude them), and a greater ability to detect the player at greater distances, and in less light.
- If they lose line of sight with you, or drop below a threshold of visibility of you (considering distance and lightness), then after 5 second they drop back to their Neutral state. This is when you have escaped, and eluded them.
Dev Diary #001
I started this project at Global Game Jam 2018... and here's where it was after that first weekend.